Spanish visa application

Visa Travel Agents Tours Hotels Flights About Iran GeneralIran Embassies Contact us

Population in Iran  Turkey Population   Turkey Flag   Spain Currency Spain Climate  Spain Travel  Spain Airports  Spain Time Spanish Dishes Spain National Holidays




Who needs a visa? And how do you apply for it?

Depending on your nationality, you might need a visa for coming to Spain. Even though requirements are frequently changed, this article will help you to find out whether you need a visa and how to apply for it.


Citizens of the European Union:are not required to get a visa for Spain since they already have the right to residency. In order to officially remain resident in Spain you are meant to apply for a NIE (Número de Identidad de Extranjero) and a residency card (Tarjeta de Residence Comunitario). In practice this is not an urgent thing to get done, but you will need it eventually for some things.

Non-EU citizens visiting Spain :need a visa (visado) in order to enter and visit Spain, unless there exists a special agreement between Spain and your home country; these countries are those of North & South America in addition to:

Andorra, Australia, Brunei, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Gibraltar, Grenada, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Japan, South Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Malaysia, Malta, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia and Switzerland.

If you are one of these nationalities, you can enter Spain without a visa and stay for up to 90 days in any 6-month period.

Non-EU citizens coming to work, study or live in Spain: are required to obtain a visa - note that this also includes non-EU spouses and dependents. Even if you are not required to have get a visa, in order to officially stay resident in Spain everyone needs to apply for a NIE (Número de Identidad de Extranjero) and a residency card (Tarjeta de Residente Comunitario).

  • How do you get a visa? Introduction:

    If you do need a visa you need a letter of invitation from the Spanish language school of your choice. This letter has to fulfill certain requirements and has to be given to the Spanish General Consulate in your country/region. And remember, you need to obtain the visa prior to leaving your home country. Once you have landed in Spain, it is too late.

    You will normally (i.e. there are exceptions) have to apply for the visa in person (you cannot send in the application by mail). Remember also to apply in time, as the average processing time is 3-4 weeks. Here is a bit of information on what you need to bring to the Spanish Consulate (but remember to check this carefully yourself directly with the Consulate):

    -A signed passport with a validity of at least 6 months
    -3 recent pictures (passport size)
    -Original letter of invitation from the language school. The letter must state that:
    You are enrolled as a full time student at an official school or university in Spain
    You have paid the tuition in full
    You are covered by a health insurance while in Spain
    -Original and signed medical certificate typed on the doctor’s stationary – stating that you are in good health.
    -If you’re going to stay for more than 6 months, you must bring an original certificate of good conduct (issued by the police department of the city/cities where you have stayed 6 months or more the last 5 years).
    -One copy of each of the documents above

    In addition you have to guarantee that you have enough funds to live in Spain by providing one of the three following items:

    Letter from the study abroad program assuming full financial responsibility for tuition, room and board for the student during his stay in Spain. For many students this information is included on the previously mentioned letter of acceptance.
    Proof of having received financial aid or scholarship covering expenses for tuition, room, board, and personal expenses during the stay in Spain (minimum of USD 350 per month).
    Notarized letter from parents assuming full financial responsibility for the student for at least USD 350 per month of stay in Spain.

    General Requirements for Spain Visas

    For any visa application for Spain, expect to require the following documents, plus those specifically as noted below for each individual type of visa for Spain.

    To apply for your visa the following requirements must be submitted in person:

    • Passport valid for a minimum of six months and three photocopies of the personal information and photo page.
    • 4 recent pictures, passport size.
    • Original marriage certificate *.
    • Original certificate of good conduct issued by the police department of the city or cities where the applicant has spent 6 months or more in the last 5 years, with a translation into Spanish .
    • Original medical certificate typed on doctor’s stationary verifying that the applicant is free from the following quarantine diseases: yellow fever, cholera, and the plague. The certificate must also certify that the applicant is free of drug addictions and mental illness, with a translation into Spanish .
    • Original Medical Insurance that will cover you in Spain.

    It is also necessary to submit two (2) photocopies of all the documents.

    visa types:
    Retirement Visa for Spain
    Student Visa for Spain
    Investors and Self-employment Visa for Spain
    Non-lucrative Visa for Spain
    Work-exempt Visa for Spain
    Family Reunification Visa for Spain
    If you’re an EU citizen, you don’t need


    Retirement Visa for Spain;

    In addition to the above General Requirements for Spain Visas, you will need:

    Residence visa to retire in Spain (visa de Jubilados). This visa allows a foreigner to reside in Spain as a retiree without working. In addition to the above General Requirements for Spain Visas, , you will need:

    • Original certificate of a public or private institution certifying that you receive a pension, specifying its monthly amount.
    • Proof of any other source of income and/or properties in Spain (The anual minimum is $10,000 increased by $1,700 for each dependant).
    • If you own any property in Spain you must bring Original proof of ownership.

    Note: on arrival in Spain, you may be asked to get medical insurance, so you’re not a drain on the Spanish public medical system.  This may not be the easiest request for an older person.  If you can’t prolong the health insurance you had in your country of origin then try some of the companies listed in Health Care and Medical Insurance .  The point is to convince them that you are insured, whether you are or not.


    Student Visa for Spain;

    Residence visa for students in Spain, Student Visa. A student visa is mandatory for any foreign citizen wishing to study in Spain for more than 3 months. In addition to the above   you will need: General Requirements for Spain Visas,insurance

    • 3 Schengen visa application forms fully completed and signed at the bottom of the back page.
    • Proof of admission to a Spanish academic center as a full-time student from the Spanish center or from the U.S. program as well as transcripts from your current studies.
    • Proof of financial means for the period of study in Spain. Proof could be:
      Letter from the institution organizing the studies indicating that tuition and living expenses have been paid in advance or the organization is fully responsible for them.
      For many students this information is stated in the previously mentioned letter of acceptance.
      Notarized letter of parents/guardians assuming financial responsibility while student is in Spain for at least $1000 per month.
      Three last statement of student´s bank account with a minimum balance of $1000 per month of stay in Spain or $1000 worth of travellers checks per month of stay in Spain.
    • If the student is under 18 years of age, the student should present a notarized letter of authorization from the parents.


    Invesment or Self-employment Visa for Spain

    Residence visa for investors or self-employment. If you’re wealthy or self employed (for example you work online with a foreign source of income). In addition to the above General Requirements for Spain Visas,nsurance, you will need:

    • Copy of the Work Authorization Application (Solicitud de Permiso de Trabajo) filed with the Ministry of Labor in Spain and one photocopy. This document must be submitted at this Consulate General within thirty (30) days from the date stamped by the Ministry of Labor in Spain.


    Non-lucrative Visa for Spain

    Residence visa for non lucrative purposes. Another choice if you’re wealthy. In addition to the above ,General Requirements for Spain Visass,insurance you will need:
    Proof of sufficient financial resources ( Bank accounts in Spain or the United States, investments, annuities, and any other source of income) totaling a minimum of $75,000.00 annually. If stocks or partnerships are owned in one or several companies, it must be specified that no funds are derived from direct labor activity in these companies.

  • If you own property in Spain you must submit the original deed and a photocopy, or you must submit proof of sufficient financial resources to obtain housing in Spain.


    Work-excempt Visa for Spain

    Residence visa exempt from the obligation of requesting work permit If you’re a Mormon etc. In addition to the above General Requirements for Spain Visas,nsurance, you will need:

    • Documents which verify that the organization in Spain is accredited by the appropriate governmental authorities in Spain.
    • Proof of receiving a grant, if applicable.

    If you don’t fit any of the above, then it gets tougher.  You can come for three months, then try to find a company to sponsor you, or you might try to get residence in another EU country first (do you have an Irish grandmother?).  Or if you just love Spain but hate bureaucracies, you can probably live here illegally many years without difficulties, as long as you keep a low profile

  • how you can get visa from Spain embassy in Iran:

Address : 28016 Calle Jeres, 5, Madrid - Spain
City : Madrid
Telephone : (+34-1)93450112-4,93450116
Fax : (+34-1)93451190
Email :  
Working Hours : 8:30-16:00    
Time Dif. : SUMMER -2.5      WINTER -2.5

Here you will find the most important information's about Spain:


PASSPORTS: Passport valid for at least three months including 90 days beyond the planned stay required by all except the following:
1. nationals of the EU holding valid national ID cards for stays of up to 90 days.
Note: The requested validity and precise requirements of the passport may vary according to nationality and these are subject to change at short notice; please consult nearest Embassy/Consulate for further details.

VISAS: Required by all except the following:
(a) nationals of EU countries, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland regardless of purpose and/or length of stay;
(b) 2. other nationals referred to in the chart above for stays of up to 90 days;
(c) nationals of Andorra, Anguilla, Argentina, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cayman Islands, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Falkland Islands, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong (SAR), Israel, Korea (Rep), Liechtenstein, Macau (SAR), Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, Montserrat, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Romania, St Helena, San Marino, Singapore, Turks & Caicos Islands, Uruguay, Vatican City and Venezuela for stays of up to 90 days; (d) holders of travel documents issued by the Geneva convention of July 1951, by Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK for stays of up to 90 days. Please note that British passports that do not have “European community” on the front page require a visa;
(e) crew members of airlines and merchant navy for stays of up to 90 days;
(f) nationals of any of the Schengen member states who hold permanent residency are entitled to re-enter the Schengen area without a visa, provided proof of residence and a valid passport are submitted;
(g) transit passengers continuing their journey by the same or first connecting aircraft provided holding valid onward or return documentation and not leaving the airport (except nationals of Afghanistan*, Angola, Bangladesh*, Congo (Dem Rep)*, Cote d’Ivoire, Cuba, Eritrea*, Ethiopia*, Ghana*, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, India, Iran*, Iraq*, Liberia, Mali, Nigeria*, Pakistan*, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia*, Sri Lanka*, Syrian Arab Republic and Togo who always require an airport transit visa if not a permanent resident of Canada, EU countries or the USA; nationals marked * must be permanent residents of Andorra, Canada, Japan, Monaco, San Marino, Switzerland or the USA). As the preceding list is liable to change at short notice, visitors are advised to check transit regulations with the relevant Embassy or Consulate before travelling.

Note: (a) Children of any age holding a valid passport will require a visa. (b) Visas issued to nationals of Turkey are not valid for all Schengen member states.

Types of visa and cost: A uniform type of visa, the Schengen visa, is issued for tourist, business and private visits. Short-stay: £17.25 for up to 30 days, £20.70 for up to 90 days (single-entry); £24.15 for up to 90 days (multiple entries), £34.50 for up to one year (multiple-entry). Transit: £6.90. Prices are subject to change and travellers are advised to check with the Consulate before departure. All visas are also subject to an administrative fee.

Note: (a) Spouses and children of EU nationals (providing spouse’s passport and the original marriage or birth certificate is produced), and nationals of some other countries, receive their visas free of charge (enquire at Embassy for details). (b) Visa exemptions apply for school children visiting Spain as part of an organised school trip, accompanied by a teacher.

Validity: Short-stay (single- and multiple-entry): valid for six months from date of issue for a stay of maximum 90 days per entry. Transit (single- and multiple-entry): valid for a maximum of five days per entry, including the day of arrival. Visas cannot be extended and a new application must be made each time.

Application to: In person (strictly only by appointment solicited in writing) to the appropriate Consulate (or Consular section at Embassy) for where applicant lives. Applications may also be conducted through a travel agency or visa agency that may come in person on behalf of the applicant. Postal applications are not accepted. Travellers visiting just one Schengen country should apply to the Consulate of that country; travellers visiting more than one Schengen country should apply to the Consulate of the country chosen as the main destination or the country they will enter first (if they have no main destination).

Note: Applicants will be seen by appointment only. Please state number of applicants (immediate family only: wife/husband and descendants) when applying for an appointment. If applying for a family, please send photocopies of passports, plus a self-addressed envelope.

Application requirements: (a) Passport or travel document, valid for at least three months longer than requested visa with one full blank page to affix the visa. (b) Two completed application forms; in the case of minors, the parent or legal guardian may sign. (c) Two passport-size photos (plus three photocopies), preferably stapled to each page of application form; children also require two passport-size photos, to be included in the parent’s passport. (d) Fee, payable by cash or postal order only. (e) Proof of purpose of visit (official letter of invitation; return tickets and hotel confirmation). (f) Confirmed accommodation. (g) Evidence of sufficient funds for stay (recent bank statement and photocopies). (h) Formal itinerary, supplied by travel agent or airline. Business: (a)-(h) and, (i) Letter from employer; or accountant, solicitor, bank manager or Chamber of Commerce if self-employed. Students should submit proof of attendance. (j) Written invitation from company or organisation in Spain. Student: (a)-(i) and, (j) Legalised police certificate from country where applicant has lived for five years or more, confirming the absence of a police record, if studying in Spain for longer than six months.

Note: (a) Evidence of medical insurance will be required. (b) Requirements for visas vary according to nationality, passport, travel document used and the purpose and duration of the trip. All documents must be submitted in their original form, plus two photocopies (three for Business visas). For more information, contact the Consulate (or Consular section at Embassy); see Contact Addresses section. (c) Minors included in parent's passport must be accompanied by the parent. The child's right to travel on passport will lapse depending on the age stipulated by the Embassy/Consulate in the issuing country.

Working days required: An appointment to apply for a visa will be received by post within seven days of date of request. Processing time varies, depending on nationality and personal information. Applications from nationals of the following countries will take two to three weeks, and they should not buy tickets prior to applying for and obtaining a visa: Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Burundi, China (PR), Colombia, Congo (Dem Rep), Egypt, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Korea (Dem Rep), Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Pakistan, Palestinian National Authority, The Philippines, Qatar, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Surinam, the Syrian Arab Republic, United Arab Emirates and Yemen. Once granted, visas may take only one working day to be issued. All applications for all nationalities should be lodged with the Embassy or Consulate several weeks before the intended date of travel.

Temporary residence: Refer enquiries to Consulate

Australia Visa Iran visa Turkey visa  Hong Kong visa China visa Bahrain visa Cyprus visa Greece visa India visa Ireland visa Kazakhstan visa Kuwait visa   Qatar visa UAE visa   Russia Visa  Saudi Arabia visa Spain visa Syria visa Ukraine visa  Vietnam visa

Population in Spain Spain Business Directory  Spain map  Spain flag Foreign Embassies in Spain    Spain embassy In Tehran  Madrid Companies Barcelona Companies



                                     Copyright © 2002 2007 ISTA, INC.